Skip navigation
Fountain, ca. 1903
Frank A. Gass

William J. Kane

Samuel Thornton

Newark, New Jersey
Limestone, H (approximate): 132 in
Gift of the Prudential Insurance Company of America, 1958  58.208
On View
Labels/Stamps:
Plaque inscribed: "This fountain, a Newark landmark for more than half a century, was installed in the Prudential Building at the corner of Broad and Bank Streets in 1903. / Like the building proper, one of the outstanding works of the eminent architect George Post, the fountain was inspired by French architectural design. It follows closely the pattern of the ornamental tracery above the gate of the historic castle at Blois in the Loire Valley. It was carved by Samuel Thornton of Bloomfield. / Presented to the Newark Museum by The Prudential Insurance Company of America in 1958 following the razing of the Broad Street structure to make way for a new building."

Provenance: Prudential Building, corner of Broad and Bank Streets, Newark, New Jersey.